Disney Is Reportedly Slamming The Brakes On New 'Star Wars Story' Movies

Wendy Jensen
June 21, 2018

Lucasfilm has already announced that "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson will write and direct a new "Star Wars" trilogy and that "Game of Thrones" showrunners David Benioff and D.B Weiss will write and produce a new series of films.

While I personally would have enjoyed seeing McGregor return to the screen as Obi-Wan Kenobi, a role many consider to be a shining light in the Prequel Trilogy, I can not help but feel that this is the correct choice. Most pressing is the completion of the Sequel Trilogy with Star Wars: Episode IX, which will presumably conclude the much-studied stories of Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren.

But following the tepid box office of Solo, Collider are now reporting that they are putting all future spin-offs on hold while they concentrate on Episode IX.

Ten quotes about Rubiales from Florentino Perez and Julen Lopetegui
We respect the champions but we have full confidence in the boys and what they have done in these last two years", said Hierro. "He is clearly the best in the world at Real Madrid".

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" raked in a relatively healthy $155 million on its opening weekend when it premiered in December 2016, and has earned more than $1 billion worldwide. Now we have reports from Collider that Lucasfilm is going to hold off on pumping out another A Star Wars Story film.

Today's updates suggests studio big wigs are having second thoughts on proceeding, perhaps based upon Solo's well-publicised production problems and relatively lukewarm box office reception.

Star Wars' spin-off movies were originally conceived as a way to both modulate the franchise into a Marvel-style "universe" while filling the gap between releases of the main-narrative episodes. Solo arrived six months after The Last Jedi, and Lucasfilm needs to keep Star Wars movies feeling like can't-miss events.

US, Mexico and Canada to host 2026 World Cup
The 2026 World Cup will have 48 teams playing a total of 80 games - 60 are planned in the U.S. and 10 each in Canada and Mexico. Ghana will not be participating in the voting process to elect the 2026 World Cup host which takes off anytime soon.

The story also notes that Disney refused to give Solo any preferential treatment with regards to marketing, so the film wouldn't interfere with their plans for Avengers: Infinity War.

Sources told the site that though a previously-rumoured Obi-Wan Kenobi origins movie was in the works, those involved in the film are no longer taking part.

On the small screen, we will be getting the Jon Favreau live action and Dave Filoni Star Wars Resistance animated series.

Salmonella linked to pre-cut melon sickens 60 in Midwest — CONSUMER ALERT
Officials said pre-cut melons distributed by Caito Foods , which is based in Indianapolis, were the likely source of the outbreak. Recalled products were distributed to Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, and Ohio.

More as we hear it.

Other reports by Info About Network

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER